Traditional Cottage in an Idyllic Mountain Setting
OLD SHEPHERD’S COTTAGE
Tooraskeheen, Clifden, Co. Galway
5 guests 3 bedrooms
Old Shepherd’s Cottage is a renovated traditional Irish cottage on a mountain sheep farm 3km from the bustle of Clifden town and the Wild Atlantic Way driving route. Enjoy views onto the Owenglen River and 12 Bens Mountains from your doorstep. This beautiful tranquil location is off the beaten track but still close to shops, restaurants and pubs in Clifden town and beautiful beaches in Ballyconeely and Roundstone. This is the perfect location for exploring Connemara and all it has to offer.
This spacious cottage has 3 bedrooms comfortably sleeping 5 people. There are 2 double rooms and a single room. The upstairs double is en-suite, and is accessed by a small spiral staircase. The other rooms are all on the ground floor including the main bathroom which has a bath and shower.
The front door opens to a large living/dining area with traditional fireplace containing a multi-fuel stove at the heart of the room. The cottage combines many traditional features with modern conveniences including multi-fuel stove, electric heating, hot water, washing machine, clothes dryer, a fully equipped kitchen with electric cooker, fridge freezer, dishwasher, microwave and everything you need to cook your own meals. There is free WiFi, a smart TV, board games and a good selection of books. Cot is available on request. There is an outside patio with barbecue and outdoor seating.
The cottage is situated in a peaceful and scenic rural setting, surrounded by fields sweeping down to the Owenglen river. There are no other houses visible from the cottage – the sheep are your closest neighbours! It is just 3km from Clifden town where you will find shops, restaurants, pubs and art galleries.
Essentials: towels, bed linen, soap, toilet paper
Well equipped kitchen where guests can cook their own meals
Children’s books and toys
Drawers and hangers
Carbon monoxide detector
Parking on premises
It is self check-in with a lockbox. We give you space to enjoy the place but are available to answer any questions you may have during your stay.
The cottage is located approximately 2km from the main road up a single-lane country road. You can park right outside the house.
Pets welcome but please keep dogs under control as there are sheep in the fields surrounding the house.
- Great little cottage near clifden, bit far from the city centre so a quick run to the shop or restaurant is better by car. The area is great otherwise, a lot of things so discover in connemara!
The cottage has everything you might need and is very clean & cozy. You can hear the people upstairs and the waterpump.Katharina*16/07/22Atmospheric Connemara cottage, you can visit the surrounding areas or just sit back and watch the mist roll over the hills. Well equipped and comfortable, maybe a little dated inside. The end part of the road is not tarmac, but driveable in a normal car. A quiet and peaceful location, the facilities of the town are a short drive away.Brian09/07/22If you are looking for the wild and remote alongside modern conveniences this is the place for you. I almost didnt want to give it a good review as i want it all to myself! Only setback is last stretch of the road, it's more suitable for a 4 by 4 than a normal family car. Also the spiral stair as might be difficult for some. I definately will go back if the opportunity arrives.Regina02/07/22
- The house is wonderful, exactly as in the pictures, and surrounded by stunning views. Sheep who have recently lambed in a field opposite were a bonus - the tranquility and privacy are very special. The house has everything you need, a very well equipped kitchen for cooking at home. The drive down the hill to Clifden takes 7 or 8 minutes and while the very top of the track is a little rough our non-4x4 coped very well. The wood burner in the sitting room made for relaxing evenings and we felt so relaxed and refreshed after a 3-night stay. Highly recommended.Gary14/04/22
- Beautiful cottage in a really picturesque location. The wood burner was really special! Nearby Clifden really lovely, lots of shops, bars etc. recommend the Sky Road and walking in Connemara, visitor centre super helpful and well marked route, no map necessary. as others have said, take it really slow on the approach to the cottage as it's very bumpy. our hire car managed it fine though! great communication from Caroline and very clear instructions.Jessica09/04/22
- What a fabulous cottage. Such character. And stunning location. So close to the lovely town of Clifden yet feels like you’re in the wilds! Communication was spot on, check in so smooth. And to top it off we arrived on a wet cold December evening to a roaring stove and beautiful Christmas tree lit up. So beautiful. The cottage was perfect for our family of 5 and our dog. It had everything we needed. Couldn’t fault it. Loved every minute of our stay. The staircase to the upstairs bedroom is quite steep but was totally fine for us. Take it easy on the road to the cottage and it’s no problem. Would highly recommend this little gem of a place. Will be back. Thanks guys.Roisin12/12/21
- Really enjoyed our stay at the cottage! Very quiet and unique location with a beautiful view. Just a few minutes to Clifden and fun drives around the area. The cottage was spacious and clean with a well-stocked wood burning stove. The spiral staircase was a bit steep, so we stayed downstairs and were quite comfortable.
The drive up the lane to the cottage was beautiful though the last 100 - 200 meters of the drive were a bit rough. Be careful if you're in a small vehicle. I'd say it's worth the drive. Would gladly stay here again!Carmen07/10/21We spent 3 nights in Caroline & Kevins spacious cottage in a stunning setting. Comfortable living area and bedrooms. Dog friendly, although our puppy was a bit scared of the close proximity of the sheep! Remote enough location to detach from the world but close enough to Clifden - within a few mins drive.Paula01/10/21
- Nestled in quiet countryside is this fabulous gem of a cottage. The road leading up isn’t for the faint hearted but once you get to the cottage, it’s all worth while.
A quaint, cozy cottage with spectacular views over the countryside. Close enough to Clifden and the surrounding beauty spots, but out of the way enough to feel like you’re really in the wilds.
A great place to spend a few days.Bronwyn19/09/21we had a lovely stay with our little dog! cottage was exactly as described. the road up to it is a bit tricky but we got the hang of it. I would recommend bringing insect repellent as the area has a lot of midgies, including the gardens of the cottage. good location for the town centre and loads of lovely walks in the surrounding area.Zoe08/09/21
- This is a wonderful location, so peaceful and beautiful, and a great place if you want to connect with nature. We really enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend it for a break in the quietness and wildness of the countryside. At the same time, it is near enough to Clifden and great scenic spots. The Cottage is so cute and just like the one in John Fords "The Quiet Man". Caroline & Kevin had it lovely and clean.Alicia17/07/21
- We had a fantastic three night stay at the cottage with our dog. The location is so beautiful, remote, but still only a short drive in to Clifden. Everything was spotless, the kitchen is really well equipped with every type of utensil, pot and pan that you could imagine. The bed was really comfy, we had three great sleeps. The outdoor space is great, we loved sitting outside at the picnic table to have a drink, and our dog loved having a good sniff around the ample garden. We would love to visit again!Sarah31/05/21
- Had a lovely stay at Caroline's cottage. The place was spotless and had everything needed to make the stay comfortable. Fantastic views and very peaceful yet surprisingly close to Clifden. A great get away location. Caroline was quick and precise with communication and directions. Brilliant host. Would recommend her place if you're ever visiting Clifden.Niall21/05/21Beautiful cottage with great views. Isolated with just the sheep for company. The cottage was spotless, well equipped, and close to Clifden. The last section of the road is very rocky so drive slowly! Loved getting back here at end of day sightseeing and lighting the fire. If you get a clear night, sit out and watch the stars or get up early and have breakfast in the sun while the rabbits hop right up to the door!Christopher14/05/21
- If you're looking for a spacious yet cosy home from home that's both away from it all yet brilliantly located for exploring beautiful Connamara - THIS is THE place for you!! We ended up extending our stay by two nights we loved it so much. Incredibly well equipped with everything from a washing machine, tumble drier, every kitchen utensil you could need for rustling up some hearty meals & a gorgeous fire for gathering round in the evenings. We'll be back for sure! 🙂Kloe &.10/10/20
- The cottage is a delight: beautifully situated overlooking wonderful scenery - blissfully quiet, but only a short drive to Clifden and with a host of lovely sights within easy reach by car. It was very warm and comfortable and has all the amenities necessary - including an easy to use stove for evening fires. I would happily stay here again. The hosts were friendly and responsive and checked in to make sure that all was in order after I arrived.Julian27/09/20
- The location of this place is just brilliant, in "the middle of nowhere" and very connected to nature, yet charming Clifden is only 5 minutes away. The house is very cosy and the hospitality of Caroline & Kevin take it to a next level. The house is comfortable offering all you need and the fireplace facilitates great evenings inside. Simply this airbnb is all you're hoping for and more 🙂Luna -.01/09/20The location of this place is just brilliant, in "the middle of nowhere" and very connected to nature, yet charming Clifden is only 5 minutes away. The house is very cosy and the hospitality of Caroline & Kevin take it to a next level. The house is comfortable offering all you need and the fireplace facilitates great evenings inside. Simply this airbnb is all you're hoping for and more 🙂Luna01/09/20
- An amazing stay that I have already recommended friends and family. C&K are an absolute delight and very thoughtful. Everything was perfect. Just beware that the cottage is up a narrow and steep rocky road in case your car cannot handle it. Taxis are also unwilling to collect from cottage. I would definitely visit again.Larisa06/07/20
- We had a fantastic time in Caroline's cottage! Communication with Caroline was easy and swift and the location is stunning!!! The house is wonderfully decorated and very cosy with a really well stocked kitchen. The views from the window with sheep grazing and sweeping vistas beyond are beautiful and a wonderful escape!Julie16/03/20Caroline & Kevin’s place was even better than expected. The cottage is located right next to Clifden (super convenient) but you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere, with sheep roaming and gorgeous views- so relaxing. The cottage itself is more spacious than it appears in pictures, comfortable, and has everything you need. We stayed for Christmas and Caroline even had put up a Christmas tree and some decorations. This was so thoughtful! Would definitely recommend and would love to stay here again myself.Crystal27/12/19One of the best AirBnb experiences we have had. A beautiful setting. Very, very clean with all modern conveniences. Cottage is cozy and attractive inside and out. Great country walks and also close enough to town to walk. Quiet and out of the way, but great directions made it easy to find.Jim04/12/19
- Our stay in the cottage was wonderful! It definitely felt like we were getting away from it all, but with town and local sights not too far away. It was the perfect size for our group of 4 adults and 2 children. The kids loved the games and toys found in the cupboards, as well as running out each morning to say hello to the sheep. We enjoyed using the cozy fireplace and had plenty of wood for our 3 night stay. The hosts were very responsive and responded immediately to a question I had sent them. We would definitely stay again the next time we find ourselves in Clifden!Kristin01/12/19
- Unbeknownst to me at the time of booking, we celebrated our engagement at this special little gem. It's close to everything and nothing at at the same time, and the drive to the cottage its absolute magic. We cooked our meals in the well equipped kitchen and bid the sheep a good morning every day. Our stay here will forever remain a well treasured memory. My fiance's contribution "It was kick ass!"Autumn26/08/19
- We had a great visit. The classic cottage is just a few minutes drive from Clifden, but is in a remote location along a one-lane boreen (we only encountered another car there once), with views of a river, hills, and sheep, and outstanding views of the 12 Bens. The view through the skylights is extra special. The boreen is also a nice place to go for a four-mile run. The design features were delightful, clearly reflecting Caroline's artistic and graphics talents. We also made good use of the clothes washer and dryer. The spiral staircase to the upstairs bedroom and bathroom was perhaps not for everyone, so my wife and I stayed in one of the two downstairs bedrooms and my daughter stayed upstairs.Brian21/08/19
- Nous avons passé un excellent séjour dans la petite maison de Caroline. Celle ci est très bien équipée et dispose de tous les équipements nécessaires. Les photos sont fidèles au logement. Le logement est isolé dans la campagne ce qui est fort agréable en étant pour autant proches des centres d’intérêts de cette partie du Connemara. Attention, cependant à votre véhicule car la petite route qui mène au logement se termine par un chemin parfois un peu sinueux pour une petite voiture.Laure &.08/08/19Our stay at Caroline’s place will be a family memory we all cherish forever! What an absolutely breathtaking piece of earth and sky and beautiful home to frame it all. The home is so comfortable, artful, and dear. The kitchen had every cooking implement we needed for meal prep and the outdoor picnic table made for the grandest dining room. Because we were visiting at the peak of the summer tourist season, we were especially appreciative of the quiet and solitude the cottage offered. Perfect amount of space for our family of 5 and would very comfortably fit more. I would plan a future trip around the availability of this cottage—that is how much we loved it!Jared02/08/19
- Le Cottage est très mignon et très bien équipé. Dans un environnement calme et isolé mais proche de toutes les commodités. Caroline a été très réactive pour répondre à toutes nos questions. La boîte à clef permet la souplesse pour l'horaire d'arrivée. Je recommande ce logement pour sillonner dans le Connemara.Katy21/07/19
- This is a lovely cottage in a remote and beautiful part of Connemara, yet very accessible and close to Clifden. Makes you feel like a true northwestern local for a few days. We loved our stay there. The cottage is very clean and tidy, has all the modern necessities, and is super cozy. A real gem.Cory11/07/19
- We enjoyed our stay at this charming cottage. Loved the seclusion with sheep grazing all about and a lovely view of a valley. The house is basically comfortable and nicely furnished.
The second downstairs bedroom with bunk beds is really intended for children. The spiral staircase to the master bedroom is steep and could be tricky for some.Tory04/06/19
- I went to Caroline's cottage with 5 friends to get away from the city and it was the perfect place. The cottage is as cute as it looks in the pictures and perfectly comfortable for 6 people. It was very nice views of mountains and sheep and no noise at all. The place was very clean and Caroline even left us some Easter Eggs, truly an amazing experience.Esther21/04/19